In 1836, The Reverend Cranmore Wallace conducted the first Episcopal services in Newberry. Within a decade, the first vestry of St. Luke's was organized. The congregation continued to worship in various places before land on which to build a church was obtained in early 1855. Construction began shortly after.
The original St. Luke's Church was constructed in on the site of the present church. (This church served the parish for 129 years until it was almost demolished destroyed by a tornado in 1984.) The Right Reverend T. F. David, Bishop of South Carolina, consecrated St. Luke's on April 24, 1855.
From 1855 until the early years of the Civil War, a small congregation worshiped in the new church. The church was vandalized during the final years of the Civil War and by 1866, the congregation in Newberry had almost ceased to exist. The remaining members of the Vestry decided to lock the doors of St. Luke's and board up the windows to protect the church from desecration. The vestry also decided to sell the organ but the sale never took place and the organ was retained.
Services resumed at St. Luke's in 1869 when Reverend Edward T. Walker undertook the restoration of the church. Not until after World War II would St. Luke's Parish see significant changes. In the early 1950s, the church acquired a rectory and Parish House--both adjacent to the church property. In 1952, Reverend Edwin B. Clippard was ordained in the church and became the resident vicar.
In 1984 the church was struck by a tornado which demolished the roof and much of the structural integrity. With help from many sources, the church was restored in the Gothic style of the original building. During the rebuilding process, the Reverend George Vought guided St. Luke's Parish.
(Sources: St. Luke's Parish History, Tom Pope's History of Newberry County Volume II, Mid-Carolina High School 1985 Yearbook and History Website.)